The Department of Local Affairs distributes Conservation Trust Fund (CTF) dollars quarterly, on a per capita basis, to over 470 eligible local governments: counties, cities, towns, and Title 32 special districts that provide park and recreation services in their service plans.
Funding can be used for the acquisition, development, and maintenance of new conservation sites or for capital improvements or maintenance for recreational purposes on any public site. A public site is defined by the department as a publicly owned site, or a site in which a public entity/local government holds an interest in land or water.
Any county, municipality, or special district which has created a conservation trust fund pursuant to this section and which has certified to the department of local affairs that it has created such fund.
Conservation Trust Fund distributions are based on population:
- 2021 population figures will be used for the four quarterly distributions in 2023.
- 2022 population figures will be used for the four quarterly distributions in 2024.
Per capita share by calendar year
Distribution Total: $73,964,529
State Population: 5,783,168
Per Capita Share: $12.79
Distribution Total: $70,006,276
State Population: 5,763,976
Per Capita Share: $12.15
Distribution Total: $58,805,831
State Population: 5,694,311
Per Capita Share: $10.33
- Conservation Trust Fund Rules
- Rule Review Notification 2023
- Colorado Revised Statute 29-21-101
- Colorado Constitution: Article XXVII, Sect. 3
- Frequently Asked Questions - General
- Conservation Trust Fund eligible and ineligible expenditure examples
Conservation Trust Fund Annual Certification and Reporting
The annual Status of "Conservation Trust Fund and Spending Report and Certification of Eligibility" filings are submitted through the new Division of Local Government Formulaic Portal. You must create a user account and request access to your local government to submit your annual required filings. Your previously assigned Conservation Trust Fund specific User ID(s) that begin with "EF" are now DEACTIVATED and will not work in the new Formulaic Portal.
- March 31 for the "Status of Conservation Trust Fund and Spending Report," reporting on the previous year.
- December 31 for the "Certification of Eligibility," to certify for the upcoming year.