Following are resources that summarize many land use planning topics of importance to Colorado planning commissioners, staff, and elected officials. These are short and easy-to-read handouts, helpful to new as well as seasoned staff and elected and appointed officials involved in local land use planning efforts.
Planning Overview and Authority
Meetings and Decision-Making
- How to Encourage Citizen Involvement
- Planning Tips on Running Public Hearings
- Defensible Decision Making
- Parliamentary Procedure - Helpful Tips
- Open Meetings
Legal and Ethical Issues
PlannersWeb: This is a good resource on a variety of planning topics targeted to planning commissioners.
Note: The following resources are available online by a third party for purchase.
- Elliott, Donald L, ed. Colorado Land Planning and Development Law, 10th Edition. Denver: CBA-CLE (CLE in Colorado, Inc.), December 2015.
- Dale, C. Gregory et al. The Planning Commissioners Guide.Chicago/Washington DC: APA Planners Press, 2013.
- Land Use in Colorado Research Report (July 2022)