2013 Floods and Fires


Following the devastating floods of 2013, the State of Colorado received an initial congressional allocation of Community Development Block Grant for Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) in the amount of $62.8 million under the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013. Subsequently Colorado received two additional allocations bringing the total Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery grant for Colorado to $320,346,000 available to address recovery needs in the areas of housing, infrastructure, economic development and planning in response to the following presidentially-declared disasters:

  • Disaster Recovery 4145: Colorado Severe Storms, Flooding, Landslides and Mudslides - September 2013
  • Disaster Recovery 4134: Black Forest Wildfire - June 2013
  • Disaster Recovery 4133: Royal Gorge Wildfire - June 2013
  • Disaster Recovery 4067: High Park and Waldo Canyon Wildfires - June/July 2012

Action Plans and Amendments

High Level Summary of Accomplishments through March 2023

Household Assistance

  • 235 homes rehabilitated or replaced
  • 120 households received rental assistance
  • 35 households received down payment assistance
  • 40 properties received clearance and demolition
  • 85 home access projects (bridge and private road repair) completed

Housing New Construction*

  • 1754 multi-family units created
  • 103 single-family units created


  • 98 projects through Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management’s program to assist local governments
  • 36 Watershed and Ditch projects through Department of Local Government
  • 30 projects through the Boulder County Collaborative

Economic Development

  • 212 Businesses received business grants to sustain operations
  • 13 Tourism Marketing agencies received grant funding
  • 66 Agriculture Businesses received business assistance


  • 68 Planning and Capacity grants for local governments through Department of Local Government
  • 23 Watershed capacity grants through Department of Local Government
  • 4 Planning projects through the Boulder County Collaborative

Program Policies and Procedures

Section I - Procurement Contract Procedures
Section II - Program Income Guidelines
Section III - DoB Prevention Procedure
Section IV - Timely Expenditure Procedure
Section V - Website Procedure

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between State and Federal funding?
From the household perspective, there is little difference as there is one application for HRP program funds, and if awarded funds, applicants will be funded from the most appropriate source.  One application is required to be considered for both State and Federal funds.

The federal dollars come with additional requirements, particularly in the area of environmental review, building requirements, and income eligibility requirements.  In general, the grant/forgivable loan for moderate and lower-income households will be federally funded, and the traditional loan funds will come from state funds.  Individual exceptions will occur based on the ability to meet all federal requirements and the availability of funds from each source.

What is the background on this CDBG-DR allocation?
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced that the State of Colorado will receive $7,415,000 in funding to support long-term recovery and mitigation efforts following the 2021 Marshall Fire and Straight Line Winds event in Boulder County (DR-4634) through Colorado’s Department of Local Affairs (DOLA). Community Development Block grant/forgivable loan – Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) funding is designed to address the needs that remain after all other assistance has been exhausted.

What, if any, requirements are there for the use of the CDBG-DR funds?
70% of housing rehab and reconstruction dollars will be limited to LMI applicants (the other 30% can serve those up to 120% of AMI).

100% of the Wind and Wildfire mitigation program will go toward LMI households.

30% of the Local Government Mitigation Assistance must go to projects that meet LMI area benefit.

Anti-Fraud, Waste, and Abuse

The State of Colorado will make available to HUD detailed Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Policies and Procedures to demonstrate adequate procedures are in place to prevent fraud, waste, and abuse. If you suspect fraud, waste, or abuse, please call the Colorado anti-fraud, waste, and abuse hotline at (800) 222-4444.

Complaints regarding fraud, waste, or abuse of government funds should be forwarded to the HUD OIG Fraud Hotline (800–347–3735) or email address (hotline@hudoig.gov).

Contact Information

Will Cundiff
Grants Financial Administrator, Department of Local Affairs


Was this content helpful?