The Rural Economic Development Initiative (REDI) program is designed to help rural communities comprehensively diversify their local economy and create a more resilient Colorado.
Who Should Apply
The most successful applications to this program are those from counties with less than 50,000 people, and from communities with fewer than 25,000 people. Projects that will be funded include plans, construction, programs, and capacity building. All applications must create and retain jobs, either direct or indirect. Projects should fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Job creation and retention - Both through direct and indirect means.
- Capacity building - Under special circumstances, the Department of Local Affairs will consider funding local economic development capacity. Staff must be tied to a specific outcome, project, and timeline, which contributes to goals of job creation, business attraction/retention, and economic resilience.
- Economic resilience - Economic resilience is the ability of a community’s economy and systems that support the economy to withstand disruption and thrive in the face of change.
- Supports entrepreneurial ecosystems - Entrepreneurial ecosystems provide trainings, networking opportunities, and infrastructure to support local entrepreneurs.
All projects should be identified as a priority for the community within a comprehensive and holistic approach.
The Application Process
The 2023-2024 Rural Economic Development Initiative grant cycle opens February 16, 2023 and closes March 16, 2023.
- Application Instruction and Guidelines
- Application Instructions and Guidelines
- Rural Economic Development Initiative Budget Financials Template
- Rural Economic Development Initiative webinar video
Rural Economic Development Initiative Projects Funded Fiscal Year 2016 to Date
Direct inquiries regarding initial program interest to your Regional Manager. Use the program contact listed below once the initial process with your Regional Manager is complete.
Rural Economic Development Initiative Program Manager